You’ve assessed your elderly parent’s living situation, abilities and care needs, and have decided a senior home is the most beneficial care option. The next step is to begin your search for a suitable residence that will enable your loved one to thrive.
There are a variety of questions you should ask when enquiring about a senior home to develop a clear understanding of offerings, features and fees.
- Do you develop personalized care plans for each resident?
- Do you provide 24-hour care?
- What type of daily / regular services do you provide residents?
- What type of healthcare staff are on-site on a daily basis?
- Do you have any other healthcare professionals visit regularly, such as doctors and pharmacists?
- What is your screening and hiring process for staff?
- How do caregivers treat / interact with residents?
- Who do I talk to if my parent has an issue with a staff member or resident?
- What’s the atmosphere like in the residence?
- Would my parent receive a private or shared room?
- What type of common areas are in the residence?
- Do residents participate in daily or weekly activities? What kind?
- What type of health and safety standards do you follow?
- What kind of plans do you have in place for emergency situations?
- How often can family and friends visit?
- Does the residence have a security system?
- Is the facility safe and secure?
- What type of accessibility features are included in the facility? (Wheelchair access, elevator, etc.)
Eligibility & Application Process
- What eligibility criteria does my parent need to meet?
- What’s the application process?
- How long does it typically take to process an application?
- Do you require any specific documentation for the application process?
- What’s the fee for your services? (This will vary depending on living arrangements and required services.)
- What type of payment plans do you offer?
There are many other questions you can ask, but these outline some of the most important information you should know about each residence. Once you have a clear understanding of each senior home, you can consider the best alternative for your loved one. Be sure to involve your parent in the decision making process, as choosing the most suitable option will ease the transition and reduce anxiety.
Access Senior Living
Access Senior Living provides around-the-clock care according to personalized care plans for each resident. We’re proud of the intimate, family-style environment we’ve created, which improves quality of life and enables strong relationships between caregivers and residents.
If you’re looking for a high calibre private care home in Edmonton, contact us today for more information.
Need More Information?
We're happy to answer any questions you have.
Click the button below and we'll call you back as quickly as possible.